Monday 28 March 2011

MarFest 96 Part 1

The closest I had been to a convention was in British Columbia.  I had gotten myself involved in Amway in the early 80's.  Any expectations I may have had about a Science Fiction Convention were colored by my experiences at Amway conventions. 

I had made travel arrangements for members of the Military to attend various conferences.  I had also been involved in scheduling various conferences at the base level. 

When Henry approached me to help on the Maritime Science Fiction Festival Convention Committee, I thought, "I can do this".  Henry started his indoctrination by sharing his vision of a Science Fiction Convention.  What I didn't fully comprehend was that the majority of the Convention Committee had no prior experience with the organization or running of a Convention. 

Henry cautioned me that my involvement on the Maritime Science Fiction Festival Convention Committee and my involvement in KAG Kanada were two separate activities.  The only time a joint involvement would be KAG Kanada's participation as a Society at MarFest.  I was not to involve or commit KAG Kanada's resources to MarFest.

Henry had been to a few Toronto Treks, and a friend of his, Bill had also gone with him.  Other than that there was no experience.  When Henry would be questioned, his response was in essence, "Trust me, I know what I am doing." 

The first meeting of the MarFest Con-Com was held at the Ramada Inn in Burnside.  I had a previous commitment and it required me to wear a suit and tie.  When I arrived, everyone was dressed very casually and I was semi-formal.

We took chairs at a conference table, Henry at the head of the table as Chairman, and he proceeded to dispense titles.  Dealer Room, Operations, Security, Concessions; when his finger was pointing at me, he said Corporate Sponsor Coordinator.  I am convinced it was the Double Windsor knot in my tie.

While I was carrying out my duties as the Sponsorship Coordinator MarFest ConCom, I was also in the process of building my fledgling ship, the IKV SonchIy.  I had kidnapped Rick from the IKV Praksis.  Our first ship meetings were a date.  There were the two of us making plans for the future glory of the SonchIy. 

At a birthday party my daughter was attending, I met Jane.  I was wearing a jacket I had won from TV Guide four years earlier,  that made me a Deep Space Nine walking bill board.  Jane was a fan of Star Trek, and the conversation gravitated to all things Trek.  When I mentioned that I was starting a Klingon club in the Dartmouth area, she told me that she wanted to be a part of it. 

Jane then started thinking of who would be interested.  In Trek terms it took less than a nano second.  She wanted me to talk with her friend Barry, who would be very interested.  He was also a huge Trek fan.  The ship was starting to grow. 

The plans that Rick and I had made were about to be put into motion.  At a Ship's meeting, I proposed that we approach various charities and ask if we could help with our costumes.  Jason was the first to offer his services.  We brainstormed on who we thought could use our costumes to promote their organizations.  I remember there being a short list of three charities.  At our next meeting, which I believe was two weeks later, Jason came back with not only a name, he came back with a representative of the Children's Wish Foundation.

MarFest was scheduled for April 13 and 14, 1996.  My free time was divided between the MarFest Con Com and building the IKV SonchIy.  One of the potential sponsors I had made contact with was the IGA chain.  They offered me a full page on one of their monthly fliers.  This flier was delivered to every home in the Maritmes.  I was told that this was a twenty eight thousand dollar value. 

The IGA wanted costumed characters on their flier.  The only costumed characters I knew were the members of KAG Kanada.  I justified this by asking those people with costumes to participate on their own and not as members of KAG Kanada.  There would be no recognition club wise for their participation. 

What I wasn't expecting was Henry's involvement after I announced this at the Committee meeting.  Henry questioned me at length, and left me with the impression that I had somehow overstepped my authority.  What I did not know was that Henry, in his day job, knew the people I had made the arrangements with.

I received a phone call from Henry a couple of days later asking if I could meet him at the regional office of the IGA.  We met at the agreed time, and were ushered into the office of the IGA Event Coordinator.  We went over the arrangements I had already agreed upon.  In the course of our discussion, the IGA representative asked what value IGA would get in return. 

Henry was very excited.  It was evident that the IGA wanted to have something different on their flier and Henry told her that he was the Black Ice Squadron Commander, and he could put Klingons in any store in the Maritimes.  Henry had just committed resources he had no control over. 

Left to Right Rick, Angela, Allison, Paul Carreau Unknown
On March 23, 1996, we did the photo shoot in the IGA store at Bedford NS. 



Within a couple of days, I received a phone call asking if an appearance could be arranged in Sydney NS for March 30, 1996.  Sydney is a five hour drive from Halifax.  We did not have a ship in the Sydney area.  I had been in contact with some people who were interested in forming a club, however we did not have any structure in place.

I explained that we did not have the resources to make this happen, and their comment was, "you promised".

The logistics were daunting.  I had to sell a ten hour return road trip, with a three to four hour appearance.  How many people; how much gas and how many cars could I muster?  I was also asking for a fifteen hour commitment.

No comments:

Post a Comment