Tuesday 3 May 2011

Anecdotes

I was talking with Korath the Kruel AKA Rob Uhrig recently.  The topics were Hal Con and some of the fun things that have happened over the years.  It is too bad that Rob lives in Ottawa, and I live in Calgary.  Then again that could be a good thing.

While we were talking, I mentioned this story and it was like we were sitting in the Tim Horton's across from the Nova Scotia Hospital.  That is where our meetings would migrate after we did the Ship's Meeting at the Hospital.  We would laugh so hard and loud we always expected to be asked to leave by the Timmy's staff.  Our saving grace was the staff laughed with us, so it was all good.

February 07, 1997.  In anticipation of the release of the new Star Wars movie Episode I The Phantom Menace, Star Wars IV A New Hope was re-released in theatres.  Sue and I were asked if we would help promote MarFest 97 by making an appearance as Darth Vader and Princess Leia.

One of the guest stars for MarFest 97 was to be David Prowse.  David was the "Body Actor" who wore the Darth Vader costume for the original Star Wars movies.  Rob, Sue and I had the opportunity and great pleasure to have dinner with David during the Con. 

Some of the issues I had wearing the Darth Vader costume was the eye pieces fogging up.  Going to the bathroom, in costume, was an adventure by itself.  I had to have Sue navigate in front of me to guide me to the washroom.  For two reasons, one - I couldn't see where I was going and two - I was afraid of stepping on someone.  Sue's costume was white and all I had to do was follow the white blur.

At dinner, David told us that he had the same issues. He was led to his mark, delivered his lines and was led off.  What was seen on the screen and the reality were two very different things.  The Magic of  Hollywood.

Sitting in the presence of Darth Vader himself, I was feeling foolish about the issues I had had with the costume, until the Master himself asked, "and did you find..." and I realized I had a shared experience with the Evil Darth himself.

One other issue that I had, that I didn't bring up, was KAG Atlantik.  In previous posts I mentioned the formation of KAG Atlantik and that there was a lot of bitterness and animosity.  Some of the members of KAG Atlantik were in the theatre at the same time.  Some were dressed in Imperial costume, not the hard shell Storm Trooper costume, rather the Grand Moff Tarkin, the costume Peter Cushing wore, and others were dressed as Rebels.

Floyd was the Peter Cushing character. 

No one knew that it was Qel Iv under the Darth Vader mask, and Princess Leia was not recognized as Qel Iv's consort, Q'Oneqo.  (Pause for dramatic effect!)

Floyd was holding court, and decided he wanted to play with Darth.  He started bringing rebels to me, to show both his loyalty and  prowess to and for the Empire.  I didn't say a word.  I didn't want to be recognized by my voice and I decided to mime.  I let my wishes be known by hand gestures. 

The Light Sabre prop I was using was a telescoping collapsible plastic sheath over a flashlight.  The rebels had the same prop.  (In 1997, I think that was the only Light Sabre prop available.)

One of the Rebels, a woman, decided she wanted to duel with me.  In classic Star Wars fashion, she raised her Light Sabre above her head and prepared to strike.

When I was in High School, a long time ago - in a city far far away, more time than I really care to admit to, a friend of mine was in the Fencing Club.  He wanted me to join the club, however I was too cool to be prancing around with a skinny sword.  But I did remember him trying to explain to me the concept of Thrust and Parry.  The goal being to score a point by touching your opponent with the tip of the epee.

In my best menacing impersonation of Darth Vader with a Light Epee, I did the Thrust - hit my opponent with the tip of the plastic prop with enough force to collapse the tube and jumped back. 

I thought that I had proven myself with this display of Daring Dueling, but they kept coming after me.  And each time they would raise their swords in the classic Star Wars Light Sabre stance and I would Thrust and jump back.  They never touched me.

And all the time, I am thinking, "If they only knew who was under the mask!"  I don't think they ever did.

No comments:

Post a Comment