Tuesday 24 May 2011

A Klingon at the Aurora Awards

A Klingon winning the Aurora has been done before.  Bernard Reischl won in the category of Fan Achievement at Toronto Trek in 2000.  When I first heard that Bernie had been nominated for the award, I did not know what an Aurora was.  I had flown in the Aurora aircraft a few times when I was posted to Comox.

I remember being pleased that Bernie had been recognized for his work as the Commanding Officer KAG Kanada.  I did not truly understand the significance of the award. Sue/Q'Oneqo and I had been in attendance at Toronto Trek 14.  Larry Stewart was nominated for an Aurora award, and had told us that over dinner, prior to the presentations.

I had met Larry on a couple of occasions in Halifax, at the two MarFests I had worked on.  Larry had been the Master Of Ceremonies at those Conventions.  Larry is one of those people that commands attention and attracts those around him.  He is a very accomplished impersonator, and having a conversation with Larry is most entertaining.

Sue and I went to the awards presentation, and I was surprised to hear Bernie's name mentioned at the presentation ceremony as one of those nominated and then to hear that he had won the award was another surprise.  I had not known that Bernie was nominated.

It wasn't until 2006, when I realized just how much Sue had been influenced by the Aurora Awards Presentation.

The year 2000 was a very significant year for Sue and me.  It was the year we both retired from the Military and it was the year we were married.  Another story.

We started discussing where we wanted to live.  Calgary was very prominent.  Sue had not spent any time in Calgary, other than to land at the airport to get to Banff, in the mountains.  She did like the mountains.

My daughter, Angela, lived in Calgary with her mother.  I missed her very much.  We had been bringing Angela to Halifax at least once a year while she was growing up.  We thought that it would suit our life styles being closer to Angela.

In 2001 I became aware of a covert operation within KAG Kanada.  It was very subtle.  Conversations would cease or abruptly change direction when I approached a group of people.  I had just been appointed Senior Command Officer of KAG Kanada, and I was feeling very distanced from those who I had been close to.  This new ostracism by my friends was not pleasant.  

We were using Yahoo groups for club purposes, and things were said or hinted at that started raising my suspicions.  Sue and I had a talk about this one night.  I asked her what was going on.  When it came to KAG Kanada, I wanted to know what was going on.  

At first Sue was very innocent, but as I pressured her, her demeanor changed and she told me emphatically to mind my own business.  I was caught off guard.  She told me that if I were to keep digging I would uncover what was going to be meant as a surprise. 

Sue reminded me of what I had been preaching for years, recognition.  Sue told me that the club wanted to recognize me in a very special way, and if I continued to dig I would spoil their fun and ruin what they were working towards.  This was one of those "Jiminy Cricket" moments when I had to shut up and listen - for my own good.

From then on, when the conversation stopped, or when Sue 'guided' me away from a group of Klingons, I went willingly, not asking any questions.  

When the nominations were announced, the light went on and I had my answer.  I had been nominated for the Aurora Fan Achievement category.  My head swelled so much, my latex forehead no longer fit.  It was a thrill.  I don't know who was prouder, me or Sue.

The awards were to be handed out in Calgary at Conversion, August 09 2002.

Sue and I were entitled to a 'House Hunting Trip' as part of our retirement benefit from the Military.  We decided to combine our entitlement with Conversion.  We would combine our entitlement with the Aurora Award Ceremony.  

I wanted to do something special with my daughter.  Sue and I decided to surprise her with our appearance in Calgary.  We wanted to do something that would be memorable, besides just showing up on her doorstep. 

I hatched a plan, that I thought would be rather fun.  I called Angela from Halifax and told her that I was going to order a pizza for her.  I would call her back when the pizza was ordered, and I wanted her to call me as soon as the pizza was delivered.  I told her that I was working on a formula that would allow me to predict the exact moment a pizza was delivered to her door, if I ordered it from Halifax.

I then called the closest Boston Pizza to Angela and ordered her pizza.  I called her and told her the pizza was ordered, and to call me back when it was delivered.  She did.

A couple of weeks later, I again phoned and went through the same procedure. Angela called me back to tell me that the pizza had been delivered.


When we arrived in Calgary we booked into the Regency Suites Hotel in Calgary, and drove to the Boston Pizza we had been calling from Halifax.  When we arrived at the pizzeria I placed the order then phoned Angela.  I told her that I had ordered another pizza, and I would call her when the delivery guy was at her door.  I knew that the call display would show my phone number complete with the area code.  As far as Angela would know, I was still in Halifax.

When the pizza came out of the oven, we drove to Angela's house and I called her from the car.  I told her that the pizza was on its way to her door, and I started counting down from ten.  When I reached one, I pressed the doorbell.











When Angela opened the door the look of shock was priceless.  Sue was taking pictures as fast as she could.  The digital camera we used at that time wrote to a three and a half inch disk.  It took time to reset for the next picture.

We had the Awards Ceremony to attend that night, The pizza was forgotten.



Angela was vibrating through the dinner.  She did not care where we were, or why we were there.  We shared the table with one of the Guest Authors, and I don't remember who he was.  I was very excited to be with my daughter as well.

Angela's conversation was something like this:
Angela and Dad at the banquet

"I have a school play coming up and....holy shit - you can come to it!"

Angela was apologizing for her profanity, constantly.  Sue and I, being the old soldiers we were, were not offended.  Angela's profanity was very tame compared to what we were used to.

I did not win the Aurora that night, however I was most pleased with my consolation prize.  Having the opportunity to spend a very special night with my daughter and including her in what was an important and significant trip to Calgary.

Angela holding an Aurora

In 2006 after Sue had passed, I was closing out her accounts, I found a Yahoo site called KPAK.  There was correspondence that referred to the Aurora nomination.  Sue had posted a question to the club, "Would you buy Qel Iv a drink?"  That was the cost of a vote.  For all those people who bought me an Aurora drink, I thank you.












Aurora Nomination Pin
On November 04 2011, I was presented with a pin for being an Aurora Award Nominee.   I couldn't help but to think of Sue and the excitement and anticipation of being in Calgary in 2002.

I have only had occasion to wear it once.  That was when I was recognized by the Vulcan Tourism and Trek Station at a Wine and Cheese Party for the contributions I had made to Vulcan and the Trek Station on behalf of KAG Kanada.

I don't think anyone at the Wine and Cheese Party recognized the Aurora Nomination Pin for what it represented.

Sue and I frequented and supported the Trek Station in Vulcan between 2003 and 2005.  I have maintained a presence in Vulcan since Sue's death, at their events and recently I started working at the Trek Station.

I wore the pin with pride and very much felt Sue's presence as I accepted the award from the Vulcan Tourism and Trek Station.

No comments:

Post a Comment