Thursday 9 June 2011

A Klingon In Paradise Part 1

What do I write about next?  I thought that I had reached the end of "my" story.  Then Elizabeth suggested I write about my association with Vulcan Alberta.

In 2002, Sue and I moved to Calgary.  I have moved eight times in twelve years, from Comox to Halifax and back to Calgary.  I hate moving.

I am a pack rat, as was Sue.  We didn't just have stuff, we had our treasures.

When I met Sue, we combined my belongings with hers.  We lived in an apartment in Bedford, and the dining room was floor to ceiling boxes.

In 2002, after our successful House Hunting Trip, we contacted the Military, and proceeded to make arrangements to load up the truck, and move to Calgary.


Our first home in Calgary was a duplex.  But it had a basement.  We now had a place to store our stuff.

When we arrived in Calgary, the only people we knew were my daughter Angela and my ex wife.

Sue and I were fortunate that we got along with my ex.  Our relationship with her was cordial, even friendly.  My ex was very helpful in our settling in.

Sue and I went to work for the Canadian Corps Of Commissionaires.  Sue worked at the Harry Hays Building in Calgary.  Her function was to work the Information Desk.  Sue's major qualification was her bilingualism, in a predominantly English part of Canada.

One day, while Sue was taking care of some administration, she met James.  James recognized the Bath'lets on Sue's SonchIy jacket.  James turned out to be a fan of Science Fiction and wanted to know more about Sue, me and the SonchIy.  The beginnings of the IKV K'Tan were taking shape.




We also started attending committee meetings for the Calgary Science Fiction Convention, Conversion.  Sue and I would take over Registration Desk for the Convention. 

The highlight for us was hosting a BBQ after the Con with Dorothy (D.C.) Fontana and Dennis Skotak at our home.  Sue and I invited Dorothy and Dennis to Conversion XX.  Sue and I had worked with Dorothy at MarFest in 1997, and we had maintained a dialog since then.
Dennis Skotak and Dorothy Fontana second and third from the left.


 In June of 2003, Sue and I attended our first Galaxy Fest/Spock Days in Vulcan Alberta.  We had heard about it, but not much was known.   The only person we had met up until this time, who had actually attended a Galaxy Fest/Spock Days con was James.  From what he described, it sounded more like a street festival.  Sue and I were curious, so we decided to attend.

We arrived on Friday morning.  The first event was a Meet and Greet at the Trek Station, scheduled for six or seven in the evening.

I was curious about the Trek Station.

In 1988, while stationed in Wainwright Alberta, I had been involved in a provincial initiative called The Tourism Action Plan.  I lived in a small town, Irma, west of Wainwright.  The purpose of the Tourism Action Plan was to provide funding for small communities to promote their communities.

A few examples of what is promoted are Vegreville.  This town boasts the "Worlds Largest Easter Egg".   St Paul has the "UFO Landing Pad".  Vauxhall has the town's mascots Sammy and Samantha Spud and claims to be the Potato Capital of the West.  And of course Vulcan has the association with Star Trek.

When I was in Irma, I had heard about the plans to link the town of Vulcan to Star Trek.  At that time Star Trek The Next Generation was being aired and was very popular.  I was enough of a fan that I was a little green with envy.

Our first stop was the Trek Station.  I was very skeptical.  This building could not possibly host a Science Fiction con.  It is just too small.  Every Science Fiction and Trade convention I had attended had been in a hotel.  I wanted to see how they would make this happen.

We looked at the different displays, talked to the staff and decided to go for a walk into the town.  One thing I do like about small towns is just how friendly the people are.  In one store that we went into, the lady behind the counter told us that when The Next Generation was playing, the town had sent a letter to Paramount asking that Vulcan Alberta be mentioned on an episode.  The reply they received was that Vulcan was a copyrighted name, and the town would have to change the name.  The town was incorporated in 1913, and that was not going to happen.

It was back to the motel for dinner and then change into our costumes.

Kat, Sue, Paul and Jaymz.
When we went into the Trek Station, Sue and I were challenged by the Klingon K'Rau.  He came up to me, demanding to know who I was.  I told him that I was the Senior Command Officer of KAG Kanada.

K'Rau challenged me three times.  I was beginning to believe that he had comprehension problems.  There had not been a representative of KAG Kanada in attendance at a Galaxy Fest/Spock Days before, and to meet the Senior Command Officer was totally unexpected.

When this picture was taken, I was becoming irritated and I think Sue was too.

At this convention we met Mike Kerr.  He asked us to pose with him.  Mike was in the process of writing a book about the towns of Alberta.  As I write this, my copy is in storage. 

I think this photo was used in his book, What's So Funny About Alberta". 

Sue and I were interviewed by a couple of local newspapers, and our introduction to Vulcan was, for a couple of media sluts, great.

There are two classes of Sci-Fi/Fantasy Cons.  These are Fan run conventions and Creation Conventions.  The Fan run conventions are by the fans for the fans.  Their stated goal is not-for-profit.   The Creation Con is for profit, and are more expensive.

Galaxy Fest/Spock Days is unique.  This is part of the Tourism mandate of the town and county of Vulcan.  Instead of hosting the Convention in a building, such as a hotel, the events are hosted in the town.  The CRC or Community Resource Center, the Legion, the school, the Trek Station all host events.

Scheduling is sequential.  There are not multiple events happening at the same time, so conflicts in  programming are not an issue.  

On the Friday evening, there is a Meet and Greet.  The Guest Stars are brought into the Trek Station.  There is a bar and finger foods are provided.

On Saturday mornings of Galaxy Fest/Spock days a Pancake Breakfast is provided.  Later in the morning there is a parade.  The community, Guest Stars and fans all participate. Saturday evening there is a Banquet, usually themed. 

Sue and I were hooked.  Vulcan was definitely on our "come-back" list.

2 comments:

  1. Could you write more about the first time you met Jaymz and the IKV Swifthawk crew? I'd like to hear it from your viewpoint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In 2000, the Cold Fire Fleet Commander advised the Executive Command Board that there were no ships in Western Canada. KAG Kanada did not exist west of Ontario.

    In 2003, when I met Jamyz and Kat at Galaxy fest, I had no idea that there were any ships or active Klingon fans in Alberta.

    Meeting the crews of the IKV Swifthawk and the IKV Daggers Edge was a surprise to us.

    You may recall the room party that year. Sue and I were brought up to speed, very quickly, by the crew of the Swifthawk, on how the Swifthawk was abandoned by KAG Kanada.

    I made a commitment to Jaymz and the crew of the Swifthawk that KAG Kanada would do everything it could to turn the situation around. I could not undo the past, however we could build on the future.

    What I remember, and what is significant to me is the bridge building Sue and I did. The meetings we attended in Edmonton, the Spooktakular we participated in and the friendships we developed along the way.

    ReplyDelete