Thursday 30 June 2011

A Klingon In Paradise - Part 3

 In November 2004 we took possession of our new house.  It was the first time Sue had owned a home.  She was excited and proud of what we had accomplished.  Just prior to taking possession, while we were waiting for the possession date and the lawyer, Sue asked me what it was like to be a homeowner.

We were still coming to terms with the magnitude of what we had managed to accomplish.  The only answer I could give her was, "when you invite someone over to 'your house', I'm going to ask you what it is like being a homeowner".

It was just after New Years 2005, I overheard her talking on the phone inviting a couple of our friends over for dinner.  When she hung up, I asked her what it was like to be a homeowner.  Her eyes misted over and she hugged me.  

My daughter Angela was visiting and caught the moment.

On the 18 January, I went to Vulcan to meet with Michelle Becker, who was the Tourism Trek Coordinator at the time.  Michelle wanted to talk to me about the upcoming Galaxy Fest.  She had a short list of Guest Stars, and wanted my input.  She had been talking to Robert O'Reilly and J.G. Hertzler.

This was the first time that I had been asked who I wanted as a Guest Star.  Michelle was bringing in actors who had portrayed Klingon characters for Klingon Fans.    I was thrilled.

When I got home I told Sue about the conversation I had had with Michelle.  June and Galaxy Fest seemed a long way off that night.

Rob Uhrig (my Evil Twin) and me.
I think it was a couple of weeks later, I received a phone call from Rob Uhrig.   I had not talked with Rob for a few years, and was surprised when I heard his voice.  Rob wanted to know if I would be interested in becoming a member in The Order of St George.  I was being recognized for the work I had done in Halifax supporting different charities and organizations.  Rob and Jason Hemsworth had already been recognized and wanted to include both Sue and me.

Sue and I both could not afford the trip together, so it was decided that I would go first and Sue would be invested as a Dame in 2006.

On the 14 May 2005, I was inducted into the Order of St George at Niagara Falls, Ontario.
 
It was fun being invested.  Very formal - black tie.  My usual formal attire is a Klingon suit, complete with latex forehead and hair.  I was socializing with Members of Parliament, Members of the Ontario Legislative Assembly and I think there was an odd General or two.  The last time I had been even close this illustrious a group, I was in the Military and acting as a server at an Officer's Mess Dinner.  The difference this night was I was having the time of my life. My only regret was that Sue was not with me, I was missing her and was already anticipating the stories I would be telling her.

When Rob and I get together, it turns into a giggle-fest or outright belly-laughs.  We have a shared history and love telling our stories.   That night, as had become our habit, we had an audience as we re-told our stories.

Doug Welsh and Debbie Hodgeson
About three weeks after the Investiture, we were getting ready for Galaxy Fest in Vulcan.  Doug Welsh, who had replaced me as the Ice Dragon Fleet Commander for Eastern Canada and Debbie Hodgeson from Ontario, had traveled to Calgary to join us. 

I had a concern that they would be disappointed by what Vulcan had to offer.  Debbie and Doug are both seasoned and sophisticated Canadian Con veterans.    By the standards set by Cons in Toronto, Vulcan is small.

I think Debbie summed it up quite well, she told us that Galaxy Fest had a family feel to it. 

On Friday night at the Meet-N-Greet, the Throne Of Kahless was on display.  We were serving Warnog.  Both Robert O'Reilly and J.G. Hertzler were inducted as Warnog Warriors.

When I was working on the MarFest committee in 1996, the first year, we had tried to get Robert as a guest star.  that fell through.  Nine years later, it was worth the wait.

Sue winning the Klingon Fear Factor



One of the events held at Vulcan's Galaxy Fest is the Klingon Fear Factor.  On a whim, Sue entered and won.  the prize was a BBQ.  

One of the first people Sue had met in Calgary is James.  James had helped us get the IKV K'Tan off the ground, and had been very supportive of us.  We wanted to do something special for him.  We had acquired a resin kit of the 'blaster' used on the original Battlestar Galactica television series.  We had planned to give it to James at Galaxy Fest at our room party.

We had invited both Robert and J.G. to the party, however Robert had to leave the Con early.  J.G. agreed to attend.  I wanted to make the presentation of the blaster as memorable as possible for James, so I asked J.G. to make the presentation to James.

James had just bought a jacket based on the uniforms worn on the television series and Sue had asked James to wear his jacket to the room party.

When James arrived, J.G. asked him about the jacket, and James prouldy told how he had bought it on e-bay.

J.G. asked James if he was concerned about the infringement on licensing by being in possession of the jacket and the consequences of his actions.  James was getting visibly getting upset,  his face got red, he broke out in a sweat and his hands were shaking.  J.G. finally said that he had no alternative but give him "this", and produced the blaster from behind his back.  I think James thought he was going to be shot.  It took a while for him to understand that he was being given the blaster.


On Sunday evening, June 12, when we were home from Vulcan Sue asked me if I could feel a lump in her breast.  I could not detect anything unusual.  I asked if she was going to get it checked out.  She was not too concerned and said she would get a mammogram. 

On the 13th of August Sue got a blood test and that was followed up on the 24th of August with a mammogram and ultra sound.  These confirmed that there was "something", however it required a biopsy and that was scheduled for the 13th of September.

On the 27th of September we had a consultation with her surgeon, who confirmed that she in fact had a tumor.  The tumor was less than a centimeter in diameter, and he did not foresee any real problems with her treatment.  Sue had caught it in the very early stages.  He gave us worse case scenario's, however he also was optimistic in a positive outcome.

As we left his office, Sue turned to me and said, "I don't want to die".

Based on what was said in the Doctor's office, I told her that I was not going to let that happen.  This is perhaps the most significant promise, besides our wedding vows that I had ever made, and the only one I was not able to keep. 

On the 5th of October, Sue had the surgery to remove the tumor.

Paul & Sue on "set" Vulcan Trek Station 29 October
 Sue was determined that she was going to get back on her feet as soon as possible.  She did not want to be an invalid.  She had made arrangements to be back to work  on the 27th.  We also planned to be in Vulcan on the 29th.

A pilot was being shot at the Vulcan Trek Station and we had been asked to attend and wear our costumes.  Sue was in good spirits, she had had her first chemo treatment, and did not feel all that bad.

We were there for 5:30 pm and the shoot went until 02:00 am.  We both went in expecting to be extra's.  When we arrived we were given 'sides', or pages to read.  We had speaking parts.

Sue and I had worked as extras, the most recent being the set of Tom Stone.  We were both surprised when they asked us to read lines.

One of the enticements to keep the people in the Trek Station was the serving of alcohol.  They wanted the set to be relaxed, by 02:00 the set was extremely relaxed.

When we were driving back to Calgary that night, Sue asked me why we did not move to Vulcan when we moved to Alberta.  I did not have an answer.

On the 10 of December, we were invited to a taping of "Big Show For A Small Town", in Vulcan.  Footage had been shot during Galaxy Fest, and the footage was being built around this dinner.

It was the next day that Sue asked me to shave her head.  Her brush was pulling her hair out.  She did not want patches of hair on her head.

I asked why she wanted me to shave her head, and she told me that she did not trust herself with a razor.  She told me that she knew I would be careful and gentle and not nick her scalp.

Sue was already planning on how she could use her new look at a Con.  She was considering going as a blue  Bolian and perhaps Lt Ilia the Deltan from Star Trek the Motion Picture.


Sue was not able to return to work.  The chemo treatments were too much for her. 

December 22, just after midnight, Sue was uncomfortable trying to sleep.  She complained that her back was bothering her.  This was not unusual, as she was often bothered by back pain.  She credited that with her time in the Military.

We spent time sitting by the fireplace, and discussed our plans for finishing the house.  Landscaping and a deck.  We also discussed the furniture we wanted to put in the house.  This was not the first time we had discussed this topic.  It was our way of dreaming and passing time.

At around 02:00 am, Sue told me to get some sleep, as I had to get up at 04:30 to go to work.  She was sitting in the bonus room.  I got her a blanket and a toque.  I gave her a kiss on her cheek; she held my hand, smiled and said, "you're the best".

When I got up at 04:30, she was gone.

Sue had caught a virus and her lack of immune system had been the cause of her passing.  It was not the cancer that killed her, it was the cure.

4 comments:

  1. Paul, you tell such a personal story so movingly.
    I am only sorry I never had a chance to meet Sue in person; however I kind of feel like I know her a little bit, just from the conversations you and I have had over the past few years, and by reading your blog.
    Thank you for sharing this intimate time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although you've told me these stories many times, you've truly honoured Sue's memory by posting this blog. Well done! I believe Sue and I would have been great friends had I had the opportunity to meet her. You know that I've always felt her presence in this house and I know that she will continue to live on in your heart.

    Three years ago I was amazed to meet such an honest, caring and responsible man. Today I'm blessed to be the wife of the man that Sue helped you become. We'll continue to honour and respect her memory together as we move forward from here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue was like a big sister to me, I still miss her, But I know she smiles at me from Heaven, Oh and that BSG jacket is too big for me now

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul, our family offers sincere condolences.

    We often look back at the time we shared with you and KAG when we met Rod Roddenberry, in Vulcan, during Spock Days. It remains one of the highlights our family has shared over the past decade while living in Alberta.

    The Raincocks

    ReplyDelete