Saturday 2 April 2011

15 August 1996

At one of our ship's meetings, the idea of hosting an event for the Children's Wish Foundation was discussed.  What could we do?  Where would we do it?  How much would it cost to put together. 

I can't remember if it was Rick or Barry who suggested that we get in touch with Sam Moon of the Matt Minglewood band in Halifax.  I can not remember the exact connection, personal, a friend or a friend of a friend.  We had the means to talk with a local, established popular band.

I worked at Canadian Forces Base Halifax, and lived in the Private Married Quarters in CFB Shearwater..  As a member of the Canadian Armed Forces stationed in Halifax and being a member of the Junior Ranks Mess, I was entitled to rent the Mess for an evening, in essence have my own private bar.  My costs would the Mess, the bartenders, the cleaners and Sam Moon.

Sam was approached and was enthusiastic.  "Klingons!  I hear you guys like to party!" 

We set the date for August 15, 1996, the only night it was available.  We photocopied some papers to advertise this event and went over Halifax and Dartmouth handing them out.

During this weekend Halifax was hosting its Annual Busker Fest.  We thought that with the number of people on the waterfront we could reach our target audience most effectively.  It was also the cheapest way we could go without paying for media advertising.

Armed with our photocopied fliers, we breached the Halifax defenses and started handing out our photocopied paper.

The evening of the 15th arrived.  Sam was set up, sound checks done, the lights were just right, bar tenders ready to serve and I don't think we had more than ten people come through the front door.
 Karen and Jane



One of those people was Lloyd.  Even though the turnout was breaking my VISA card, Lloyd was impressed.  It was an impressive event.  We were hanging, having a few drinks.  We danced - why not, the music was paid for.  It was one of the best private parties I ever hosted.  (The only private party I ever hosted!)


Jane, Sam Moon and Karen
Lloyd commented that the SonchIy had the best looking women in the Halifax area.  Gee, I really hadn't noticed...  Actually, as I think about it, we went out of our way to make ourselves look aggressive.  The best compliment I ever received was that I was so ugly I was cute.  I now wonder if Lloyd was putting the women of the SonchIy down?







No comments:

Post a Comment