Sunday 10 April 2011

Branding

Klingons like their symbols.  The KAG Kanada emblem is the Trefoil in front of a maple leaf.














The Ice Dragon Fleet is a blue stylized dragon.

The Black Ice Squadron was a beer bottle.  Not really, I don't remember what the emblem for the Black Ice Squadron was.

Most of what I have done has been influenced by the Canadian Military.  Most Cap Badges, the badge that identifies the wearers trade, are framed by maple leafs.  I wanted to frame the crest of the IKV SonchIy with something similiar.  This is how the Bat'leths came to be on the emblem of the IKV SonchIy.

I wanted something that reflected strength.  A fist seemed appropriate, the forearm protected by a gauntlet.  It had to incorporate the Trefoil and I wanted something extra.  Rick and I discussed this at length.  I did not want maple leafs because it was not Klingon enough or too Canadian.  Rick suggested the Bat'leths and I thought it was brilliant.  We had our emblem.


The colors were solid, and the image was striking.

Flags and banners in KAG Kanada, wether squadron or ship, are usually made by hand.  I wanted something that looked professional, and I am not the one to do this.  I went to The Flag Shop in Dartmouth and asked about having a flag made.  I did not want a silk screened flag, rather one that was stitched together. 

The colors of the IKV SonchIy were black and red.  I had found a custom clothing store that did embroidery.  We had coats black sleeves and red torso.  Red shirts with black collars and trim, red nylon carry on bags.  These were embroidered with the name and crest.

They would also embroider any item of clothing we could provide.

What I did not realize was that we had branded the IKV SonchIy.  The emblem, the flag and the name stood out.

It was at MarFest 97 when we first started wearing the crest.  One of the people from Montreal asked me if I slept with the crest.

Toronto Trek 1999.  Notice the Flag and the emblem on the left side of my "underwear".

I even had vanity plates for the van.  The plate was SONCHIY.  On one occasion when Sue and I were coming out of a store, a couple were standing by the van.  They asked us if we were the Klingons.  They knew that they would not recognize us out of our costumes, however they did recognize the name of SONCHIY on the license plate.  They wanted to schedule an event with us.

3 comments:

  1. just got caught up on your postings - you really are telling a fascinating story about the power and politics of fandom.
    I look forward to reading on.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes the infamous golf shirts and carry on bags, no self-respecting member of the crew didn't have at least one of these items. Sadly mine are long gone now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the development of the crest. Miss my jacket, I think it got lost during one of my moves.

    ReplyDelete