Saturday 9 April 2011

Nova Con to Nova Gone

On the 09 November 1996, Nova Con was held in Halifax.  It was the last time the Black Ice Squadron would gather as a group at a Sci-Fi/Fantasy Convention.

The IKV SonchIy was growing in numbers.  In our first year, 1996, we were involved in sixteen events.  Our focus was community involvement.  We were starting to investigate what would be required to start face painting.  When we went out into the community we needed something to do besides just stand around.

Going into Nova Con, we were more seasoned, comfortable in our costumes and confident in ourselves as a group. 

MarFest 96 was our introduction as a Klingon Fan club.  When we attended, we were overshadowed by those who were established.  At MarFest we did not have the same level of confidence as that of our peers.  At Nova Con we were ready to take our place with the other Klingon Ships, as equals.




Left to Right Sue, Denise, Joe, Jason, Paul Carreau, Rob Uhrig, Paul G.


When we made our entry into the Assembly, we wanted to have a little 'theater'.  We had approached some Mundanes, (fans not in costume), and asked if they would mind if we pushed them out of the way.  The impression being that we were mean, tough Klingons.  This photo shows Rob (Korath the Kruel) Uhrig passing a small boy to me.  When we asked the fans to help us stage an entry, the boy asked if we could push him out of the way.  That was a little too much theater for us, so we passed him down the line.



Rob Uhrig, Paul G. Paul Carreau


Everyone has a three foot space that is theirs.  By tacit consent, we all respect that invisible barrier.  One of my best, Klingon - politically incorrect lines happened at Nova Con.  When I was registering to get into the Con, a woman grabbed the right panel of my Command Cloak. She was focused on the pins that I had on the cloak.  I was amused and intrigued that this stranger would be fondling my costume.  I had no idea who she was, and she did not know me.  I turned and offered the left panel on my Command Cloak.  She rifled through the pins, asking questions and generally made a fuss.  I told her that if she liked my pins, she would love my Bird Of Prey.



Jason gets promoted.


One of the traditions at Nova Con was to parade into town and take over a restaurant, Alfredo Weinstien's and Ho.  This was my first time at a Nova Con, and the first time I had participated in the take over of a restaurant.  I think the attraction for me was the dumbfounded look on the other patron's faces as we took over a corner of the restaurant.  This was my first, but not my last time participating in an invasion of a restaurant.

It was just after Nova Con that I received an e-mail from the Fleet Commander, Botaq (Alan Bowbrick) birJablU, advising me that Halifax/Dartmouth now had boundaries.  The SonchIy was not allowed to go into Halifax to do events.  I called Alan to find out what was going on. 

Alan told me that there were complaints that the SonchIy was taking all the events, and that the ships in Halifax wanted to do events, but could not because of the SonchIy's monopoly. 

I protested.  Any events I was doing in Halifax, I had arranged or was called by someone who wanted the SonchIy's participation.  I asked him if we were now not going to the Premier of First Contact or the Blood Feud.  Alan told me that they, meaning Lloyd and Floyd, wanted numbers at the theatre and the Blood Feud was already scheduled.  
The Next Generation Movie First Contact



Alan then told me that he was sending a map with the boundaries clearly drawn.

On the 22 November 1996, we attended the premier of the TNG movie First Contact. There were many more Klingons in attendance than when I attended the 1994 premier of Generations.  In fact, I had come full circle.  Except for the paper. 

Barry came up to me and told me that Lloyd was talking with a reporter and kept pointing at me.  He thought that I was being set up.  We decided to dodge Lloyd and the reporter.  Whenever I saw Lloyd, I would turn and walk away.  I did not want to stay too stationary for too long, so I kept moving.  I tried to stay with and around members of the SonchIy.  This went on for about three quarters of an hour. 

I was feeling fairly smug.  I was effectively dodging Lloyd's bullet, or the reporter's microphone.  I turned a corner, and the microphone was in my face.  The reporter asked me, "Why do you think your ship is the best in Halifax?"  


Denise
Karen


Lloyd was standing beside her, and I knew the question had been coached.  I looked at Lloyd, the reporter, Floyd was standing nearby and the gaggle of Klingons.  I took a breath, and said, "Each Klingon club is known as a ship. Each Ship has its strengths.   The different Ship's make up the Squadron and the Black Ice Squadron is the strongest in KAG Kanada." 

Lloyd whispered to me as I walked away, "Good answer."

On the 08 December, we attended the Merry Children's Christmas Party.  We had been asked if we could face paint.  Of course we could.  The fact was that none of us had a clue what was entailed for the art of face painting.  Sue started calling around and found a theatrical supply company.  They advised us that the best paint for faces was a water soluable powder based paint. 


Sue

It was our first event where we would actually interact with children.  This would also become the IKV SonchIy and eventually Squadron's signature contribution.

 On the 28 January 1997, I was getting ready for bed.  I received another phone call from Alan.  I was now on charges brought by Lloyd and Floyd. 

Alan told me that I was being charged with Insubordination.  Floyd wanted me removed as his 2 i/c.  

I was accused of :

'Elitism', having such a high standard of costuming that few could join my ship;
making a statment at a Squadron meeting, that I found Floyd amusing; and
stealing a member from one of the ships in the former Black Ice Squadron.
 
I was laughing, my answer to Alan was to talk with Denise.  She had put her costume together for under ten dollars. 

The costumes were personal.  My goal was to get people involved.  I wanted participation.

As to laughing at Floyd.  Though I don't remember making the statement, I couldn't really deny that charge, I think I was a threat to his author-it-tay.
Alan later told me that this is not the way things were handled in KAG Kanada, and that he had told Floyd to deal with it himself.

The next day, an e-mail titled "Independence Declared" was sent from Floyd, removing Nova Scotia's Black Ice Squadron, without the IKV SonchIy, from KAG Kanada.  The new club was called KAG Atlantik.  In twenty four hours, I had gone from being under a cloud of suspicion to being the point man for KAG Kanada.




4 comments:

  1. Ah you have to love politics...from the Greek word Poly - meaning many and ticks, those annoying blood sucking little insects. That about sums up Lloyd and Floyd

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is from my memory, please tell your version. At the very least, keep me honest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Politics galore. Well handled as always by a gallant smooth talker.
    The other topic is for another day.

    ReplyDelete