Wednesday 20 April 2011

MarFest 97

The only negative aspects of MarFest 97 were Henry and Lloyd.  Any issues I had by the time MarFest actually rolled around were eclipsed by my new relationship.

I am going to focus more on the fun stuff.  Sue and I were now living together.  We were definitely on a learning curve.  We were four months into our domestic relationship.  Sue was looking at the looming and definitive six month mark. 

My marriage with my ex wife had been seventeen years.  For me, six months was not that big a deal.

These are some of my favorite pictures from MarFest:

This picture, a version I have already used, was taken at a WalMart store.  I wanted a photo of Sue and I together.  Sue did not like having her picture taken...unless she was in costume.  We were attending the Con on Saturday in costume, and we slipped away to have a portrait photo taken.

When we walked into WalMart, we did create a buzz.  We strode to the portrait studio, without an appointment I should add.  The folks in the store were gawking and the clerks behind the counter were bug-eyed at the sight of us. 

When we asked if we could have our portrait taken, they took us right away.  The backdrop they were using was new at the time, and as I recall, I don't think there was any discussion as to using any other.



April 05, 1997 MarFest.  Picture taken at WalMart.

The following Monday, we went back to the WalMart store, in our regular clothes.  We wanted to check on the status of the portraits we had taken.  When we were walking by the checkouts, we overheard some people talking about the seven foot Klingons that had been in the store on Saturday.  I am six two, and Sue was five four.  It was a thrill, overhearing that conversation and not being recognized. 

Later, when Sue would be deployed to Haiti, she had some leave that she used to visit her mother.  Sue was concerned that her mother would not approve of our relationship.  According to Sue, her mother could be very critical. 

This photo is the one she showed her mother what her new boyfriend looked like.  Her mother's only comment, "Tell me those aren't his real teeth."

Oh yes, the teeth.  A dentist I was seeing, found out that I dressed up as a Klingon.  When she found that out, she made those for me. 

Twice at MarFest, I had two people, on two separate occasions, tell me that they knew a dentist who could help me with my teeth.  On both occasions, I pulled them out and said, "that's wonderful!".

This photo actually got me a punch from Sue.  The Commanding Officer of KAG Kanada was at MarFest 97.  He came into our Society Room and exclaimed, "I need a photo for the Disruptor."  The Disruptor was the KAG Kanada Fanzine at the time.


I scooped Sue up and the camera's started to click.  When I put Sue down, she punched my shoulder and scolded me. 

"What were you thinking?", she asked.  "You could have thrown your back out!  Don't you ever do that again!"


April 05 1997 FarFest
 This is one of my favorite photos; I didn't throw my back out; and I like to think this was my way of carrying her across that threshold.

After hours at MarFest, I had assembled the crew of the IKV SonchIy, and asked the Commanding Officer, KAG Kanada to address "the troops".  It had been a very stressful four months with the formation of KAG Atlantik.  I had been promoting the benefits of membership with KAG Kanada, and having the presence of the CO KAG Kanada "in the same place, at the same time", I thought would be inspirational for the members.

He declined, stating that he was "KAG'd out".  Instead he wanted to play pool with Hank.  That caused me some problems because he had in effect validated some of KAG Atlantik's claims.  This was a major disappointment for us and I had to refocus the allegiance of the members of the IKV SonchIy from Commanding Officer KAG Kanada to Alan's leadership as the Ice Dragon Fleet Commander.  Ultimately, the loyalty was to the SonchIy.

It was at this point that I realized I needed a process in place to recognize and reward my crew.

1 comment:

  1. Processes which are still in use today. I don't know how many people have quoted your philosophy on recognition...."Babies cry for it and grown men die for it"

    So you see, we were listening...occasionaly

    ReplyDelete