Wednesday 6 April 2011

25 November 1996

On 18 September 1996 I had made my first appearance in costume at the Canadian Red Cross in Halifax. 


A year later, we were planning another appearance at the Red Cross for the 25 November 1996.  This time, I started promoting a "National Blood Drive".  The challenge would be to see how many blood donors we could get in to donate blood. 

We were being cautioned by the Red Cross that a coordinated effort was not what the Red Cross was about.  The Red Cross would not support such an effort.  The Red Cross in Halifax was appreciative of efforts we were making - in Halifax.  Any coordinated efforts outside of Halifax would have to be coordinated by local Klingon clubs and sanctioned by the Red Cross. 

Flier we passed out
This raised a logistical problem of having the clinics on the same day.  It was decided within KAG Kanada,  that if we could even have the events coordinated during a week period that would suffice.  The challenge would be how many donors could we entice to come through the doors.  The ship with the most donors would win the challenge.

This was also before the Red Cross transferred blood services to the two new agencies, the Canadian Blood Services and Hema-Quebec in May of 1998.

Their was a lot of excitement generated in Ontario and the Maritimes.  We caught the attention of the local news, and we were connected via satellite to the Red Cross in St Johns NB. We were going to be on the news - via satellite!  There were Klingon displays at the Red Cross Center, models, Star Trek toys and lots of Klingons.

There were six clubs represented at the Red Cross Center in Halifax.  Scotia Square is just a couple of blocks away.  A few of the members of the SonchIy decided to troll Scotia Square to see if we could recruit some potential donors.  We hung out in the mall for about an hour, passing out fliers Sue had made up.  Our goal was to make people aware that a Blood Donor Clinic was in progress and see if we could entice a pedestrian or two to give blood.

We worked the mall for about an hour, then made our way back to the Red Cross building.

Jason Donates
Within half an hour of our return, Lloyd announced that he was going to recruit some donors by working Scotia Square.  Denise, who was relatively new to the SonchIy went along.  When they returned to the Clinic, it was apparent that something was wrong.  Denise was very agitated. I asked her what was wrong, and she said that Lloyd had been taking credit for the Blood Drive.  He had met a friend of his and was stating that he, Lloyd, had been responsible for the National Blood Drive.  She told me that when Lloyd took credit, she corrected him. 

I was flattered, and told Denise not to say anything else.  I did not want to escalate friction between the ships.

A short time later, Barry whispered to me that he thought something was up.  Lloyd was in an animated discussion with Floyd and pointing in our direction as he talked. 

Later as I was walking I saw Lloyd and Floyd sitting together, and Floyd pointed at me and indicated with his finger for me to join them.  Both had very stern expressions on their faces.  I went over and Floyd told me that one of my crew had embarrassed one of his ship captains.  Floyd also told me that insubordination would not be tolerated, and what was I going to do about it. 

My first thought was, are these guys serious?  My second thought was, is this worth starting a fight?  I was also curious as to how far they wanted to take this, so I asked what did they want me to do. 

Floyd stated bluntly that I was responsible for my crew and I should discipline Denise for being insubordinate with Lloyd.  I guess he wanted me to organize the equivalent of a Klingon Firing Squad. 

I put my best serious face on, and promised to "have words" with Denise at my earliest opportunity.

At the next meeting of the IKV SonchIy when we had concluded the Ship's business, in the hallway of the YWCA, I asked Denise to stand.  I tried to look as stern as Lloyd and Floyd had with me.  I stated that Denise had been accused of being insubordinate with Lloyd at the Red Cross Blood Drive.  Did she have anything to say in her defence. 

Left to right  Paul, Rick, Jason, Karen Paul Carreau, Denise Baarry, Sue
Denise went crimson.  She is the only person I have ever met who does a full body blush.  She was angry, and I think she felt betrayed by me.  She started to tell her story of how she was "standing up" for me.  I cut her short.  I stated that she had embarrassed a Ship's Captain.  I further told her that I had promised to the Black Ice Squadron Commander that I would have a talk with Denise about this incident.

I then stood up, and started clapping.  My words to Denise were, "well done".

1 comment:

  1. I loved being there with the Klingons at the Blood Drive. I was able to give 121 donations before my meds made it impossible to give. The clinic never forgot that day.

    ReplyDelete