Thursday 21 April 2011

Pot Lucks

Recognition is something babies cry for and grown men die for.

A baby cries for food and because the diaper needs changing.  It would be great if they could articulate these things, but all they know what to do is to cry.  They get fed and or their diapers get changed.

A soldier puts his life on the line for the medals he will get.

Recognition.

I don't know how many times I have said this to the leadership of KAG Kanada.  I said it at my Ship Meetings and then at the Squadron meetings.  People have to feel good about what they do.  The way to make them feel good is to recognize them for their efforts.

The vehicle I chose was Pot Lucks.  These were open to anyone.  As well as a form of recognition, they were used as recruitment and family events.



There are several different forms of Recognition in KAG Kanada.  They are covered in the General Rules and Guidelines or the GRG's.

Ranks, Honorifics,  Awards and Commendations (Ship, Squadron, Fleet Commander's and Senior Command Officer's), are what are used in KAG Kanada.  There have been exceptions to those covered in the GRG's.

Barry's Contribution


Phil gets his Imperial Starburst

December 20, 1998 Sqn Co Commendation

I was made very much aware of this at one of our Pot Lucks.  Denise, a single mother, had one of her friends consistently mind her children, so she could attend and participate in events with us.  I realized that without Denise's friend, much of what we had done could not have been accomplished.

At this Pot Luck, the SonchIy had morphed into a Squadron.  I was the Squadron Commander.  I presented Denise's friend, a Squadron Commander's Commendation, for efforts on behalf of Denise.  It was because of her efforts that Denise was able to participate with the SonchIy.

 When I called her up and presented her with the certificate, she started to cry.  I was caught off guard because I didn't know why she was crying.  I didn't understand.  When I asked why she was crying, she told me that no one had ever thanked her before.

Birthday Recognition...Happy Birthday Dave!

1 comment:

  1. At the last count, you have quoted that saying 17,812 times...but who's counting?

    ReplyDelete