Wednesday 6 April 2011

Sep - Oct 1996

I am going to skim through some of the events the SonchIy organized.  On their own, they were not that significant, however they laid a foundation that we were able to build on.  the following photo's were taken at a Canadian Forces Base Shearwater Family Day. 

Karen was a Sergent in Shearwater.  She worked on the Avionics side of the base.  I was a Corporal, and my area of expertise was Administration.  Karen made the arrangements for us to appear as part of the Family Day activities.  For this 'event' we were still unsophisticated in what we did. 

I think that is an oxymoron, a sophisticated Klingon!

Jason, a couple of Scouts and Paul Carreau

Left to Right - Jason, Karen Barry, Sue and Paul Carreau

This is my second Children's Wish Parade, October 19, 1996.  A year earlier, three Klingons paraded with the Children's Wish Foundation.  In this parade there were three Ship's represented.
Karen and Sue


This photo is had special meaning for Sue.  She confided in me much later on in our relationship that she had doubts about her participation in the club.  It was this 'event' that gave her her purpose.  When Sue realized that we could help make a difference for children like Sarah, The Children's Wish Ambassador, Sue realized that there was value in what she was doing.

Left to Right - Karen, Paul C., Sue, Frank, Sarah, Jason, Angela, John, Jane Paul Carreau Adam

This photo also has a lot of meaning for me.  This picture was taken by my former wife.  It was almost prophetic.  Sue showed this to her co-workers.  At the time she was still new on the base and not much was known about her.  She was asked if this was her family.  Years later, Sue, Angela and I would live together as a family.

Paul Carreau, Angela and Sue

We were invited to the Nova Scotia Hospital to participate in their Halloween party.  Who would have thought that costumed Klingons would be invited to a Halloween party? 

The IKV SonchIy would develop a relationship with the Nova Scotia Hospital later on.


Left to Right - Jason, Corey, unknown, Denise, Paul G, unknown Paul Carreau Sue

.It was during this time that a friction started to develop among the leadership.  I had been appointed Floyd's Second In Command or 2 i/c.  Because of my Administrative background, I felt that I was well suited to follow up his direction as Squadron Commander.  Primarily I sent out reminders to the other Ship Captain's for their Ship Reports.  Nova Con was looming, and the Ship Reports would be the basis for the various forms of recognition for participation and effort in the various ships.

On the 28 September 1996 Floyd and I were scheduled to do an Inspection of one of the Ship's in an outlying area, Oxford NS.  I had suggested this to Floyd as a way of motivating the crew by allowing them to show off what they were accomplishing and recognizing them for their effort.

When I arrived to pick up Floyd, Lloyd was there as well, and joined us in the car.  I was doing double duty as Transportation Officer because I was the only one with a car.

When we got under way, Lloyd told me that he was also Floyd's 2 i/c.  I questioned this, and was told by Floyd that he needed two 2i/c's.  I found it strange, but let it go.  This was after all recreation.  My Military side was telling me, "This is NOT how it's done!".

At a Squadron meeting, a meeting that the Ship Captain's gather, Kill Stripes were being discussed.  Kill stripes were used to recognize the different types of events that a member participated in.  I do not remember the color scheme except for one, red.  That was used to identify participation at a Blood Drive.  At this meeting, Floyd was going over the different colors, and stopped.  He looked puzzled for a moment, asked, "is that what we decided last meeting", then exclaimed, "it doesn't matter this is what we are doing now!".

I wasn't feeling comfortable with this arrangement.  I asked Karen to come along to the next Squadron meeting  to witness what I was seeing.  I thought this bizarre enough that it could have negative effects on the club.

The next meeting things took an unexpected turn.  Karen and I were in attendance.  It was more social than anything.  One of the women at the meeting asked Karen who she was, and what ship she was on.  When Karen stated she was on the SonchIy, the woman stated in a condescending way, "Oh, your with the party ship". 

If that was our reputation, it was a good thing.

Lloyd asked if he could get a ride home with Karen and I.  I said sure.  When we left the party, Lloyd asked if we could stop for a coffee on the way home.  We stopped at a Tim Horton's and when we were settled, Lloyd stated that, "Some people are saying that you are elitist." 

I asked Lloyd what he meant by that.  His response was, "Some people think that you are hogging all the events for yourself."

I had a strong suspicion that those gray,  vague, fuzzy unknown "some people" were probably Lloyd.  I asked Lloyd what he thought the solution should be.  Lloyd stated that I should make room, or replace my crew with members of his crew. 

I looked at Karen.  She was mirroring what I felt.  Disbelief.

I restated, to make sure I understood what was being said.  "You want me to restrict the involvement of the crew of the SonchIy, to accommodate your crew?"

Lloyd smiled and stated that was correct.

I told Lloyd that I would take his proposal to the SonchIy crew, and put it to a vote.  If the crew of the SonchIy thought it was a good idea, then we would implement it.

It was evident that the coffee was over.  I offered to take Lloyd home, however he decided he would rather walk.

It was during this time that I met Rob "not the actor" Uhrig. 

My title was CSOR Support in CFB Halifax.  My position was to support two Orderly Rooms.  I provided the stationary, business machine support, and to some extent document tracking.  My office was a mini-supply room. 

A Leading Seaman, (Navy Pusser) walks into my orderly room.  I am expecting him to ask for supplies or directions.  He asks me, "Are you Corporal Carreau?"

"Yes." I replied.

He then proceeds to unbutton his shirt. 

To put this in context, my military trainging, attitudes and indoctrination up until this point had been extremely homophobic, and here is this big sailor complete with beard, in the process of undressing in my office.  My Fight-Or-Flight instincts are taking over, and I am speechless.

He pulls back his shirt and exposes his chest and shoulders.  On his right chest is the tatoo of the Klingon Trefoil.  He proudly states, "I'm a Klinon too!" 

I wasn't going to argue!  Rob joined the SonchIy that day, tattoo and all.

2 comments:

  1. The look on your face was priceless! And for those who are wondering, it was the FLIGHT instinct that won out, but I was between him and the only door out of the room. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was talking with Karen yesterday, and she reminded me that I asked her to wear her "SonchIy" jacket to that meeting. I wore mine as well.

    I had forgotten that 'little' detail.

    ReplyDelete